On 22 November 2016, the Senate referred the following matters to the Senate Economics References Committee for inquiry and report by 22 June 2017:
- the increase in the cost of home, strata and car insurance cover over the past decade in comparison to wage growth over the same period;
- competition in Australia’s $28 billion home, strata and car insurance industries;
- transparency in Australia’s home, strata and car insurance industries;
- the effect in other jurisdictions of independent home, strata and car insurance comparison services on insurance cover costs;
- the costs and benefits associated with the establishment of an independent home, strata and car insurance comparison service in Australia;
- legislative and other changes necessary to facilitate an independent home, strata and car insurance comparison service in Australia; and
- any related matters.
The committee is due to report to the Senate by the 22 June 2017 and submissions can be made by 10 February 2017.
This document is designed to provide helpful general guidance on some key issues relevant to this topic. It should not be relied on as legal advice. It does not cover everything that may be relevant to you and does not take into account your particular circumstances. It is only current as at the date of release. You must ensure that you seek appropriate professional advice in relation to this topic as well as to the currency, accuracy and relevance of this material for you.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation. Legal practitioners of Radford Lawyers Pty Limited are members of the scheme.